It's not always easy owning and training a dog. Or any pet for that matter. There is a lot to be concerned with. From feeding them the proper food to making sure they're getting enough exercise, caring for an animal is a big commitment.
Add the fact that many common household items can be poisonous to your pets and you have a recipe for disaster. So we've compiled a list of the most common items that you need to keep out of your pet's reach:
- Acetaminophen, which is found in Tylenol and other medications - It can cause liver damage in dogs and have an even worse outcome for cats: Ingestion of a single 325 mg tablet by a 10-pound cat can cause anemia and even be fatal.
- Batteries - These can be toxic to both dogs and cats, lead to ulcers of the mouth, esophagus or stomach.
- Chocolate - Ingesting it can seizures or be fatal to dogs and cats. Darker chocolate, such as baker's chocolate, is more fatal than milk or white chocolate.
- Detergents - It can cause ulcers of the mouth, esophagus or stomach in both cats and dogs.
- Ethylene glyocal, a common ingredient in antifreeze, windshield de-icers and motor oils - Dogs and cats are attracted to the sweet taste, but as little as one teaspoon can cause kidney failure.
- Fertilizers -These chemicals typically include poisonous amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, herbicides and pesticides.
- Grapes - Even in small doses, grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs.
- Household cleaners - Bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia and toilet cleaners can cause gastrointestinal ulcers and a myriad of other problems in dogs and cats.
- Insecticides - Flea and tick medicine that is meant for dogs are severely toxic for cats, leadings to vomiting, seizures and difficulty breathing.
- Kerosene - Gasoline and fluids that light tiki torches cause drooling, irregular walking and breathing difficulties in dogs and cats.
- Mothballs - These can be toxic to dogs and cats, especially if they contain naphthalene. They cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased drinking and urination and seizures.
- Nonprescription medications - Pills such as ibuprofen can lead to ulcers, anemia, or even kidney r liver failure in dogs and cats.
- Onions - Onions, garlic, leeks and chives can be toxic to dogs and cats. If ingested, they can cause anemia and gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Macadamia nuts - These can cause lethargy, vomiting and difficulty walking in dogs.
- Rodenticides - Common ingredients in rodent poison can cause blood clotting problems and hemorrhaging or internal bleeding in cats and dogs.
- Xylitol (sugar-free sweetener commonly found in chewing gum. mints or toothpaste) - This can lead to dangerous drops in blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.
- Metal or coins - Zinc toxicity poisoning can be caused by ingesting even a single penny, leading to anemia, liver, kidney or heart failure.
If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA's 24-hour emergency poison hotline directly at 1-888-426-4435.