Gadget's Operation

dog in coneThose of you who follow our official Facebook page may have known that Gadget went in for surgery this morning to remove a fatty growth that existed on her belly. It's been there for a few years now, but our veterinarian has checked it each year during her annual exam to make sure it's benign and not more serious. (Gadget sees Dr. Lemelin and Dr. Lord at the New England Animal Hospital in Fairhaven, Mass, by the way, and they are fantastic!)

Recently though, I had noticed that it grew significantly in size and was making it uncomfortable for Gadget to lay down. So I brought her in and made an appointment to have it removed before it grows anymore or before she gets too old for the operation to be safe. (She's going on 9 years old.)

So, Dr. Lemelin gave me instructions to prepare Gadget for her surgery this morning, which included giving her half of her normal serving of food and half of her normal insulin dose this morning. Normally, dogs who are having surgery are instructed to forego food and water after midnight the night before the operation. But because Gadget is a diabetic (which I will write more about later), I had special instructions for her.

She was pretty hungry this morning after I only gave her half of her food, but I dropped her off at the vet's office bright and early with no problems. I received a call around 10:45am from the receptionist telling me that I could come pick her up around 12:30, which was again a special consideration because she is diabetic. The vet felt it best for Gadget to rest and recuperate at home so that anxiety from being at the office didn't make her blood sugar fluctuate too much.

When I arrived at 12:30, Dr. Lemelin explained to me that Gadget actually had a hernia! As he was working to remove the fatty tissue, which normally is only attached to the outside of the body, he discovered that a small hernia existed. The hernia was fortunately very small, so nothing besides fat was fitting through the hole in the muscle wall, hence why a pocket of fat developed and was hanging from her in cone with cat looking at it

Dr. Lemelin removed the extra fat and skin, closed up the hernia and sutured her up. She has to go back in 10-14 days to have the sutures removed and I was given a supply of Rimadyl to help ease her pain for the next couple days. She was also sent home with a cone which she is not happy about, but it does keep her from licking the incision area. (Our cats also find it quite interesting.)

Overall, I would say the surgery was a success and I'm confident Gadget will be much more comfortable and happy! Making the decision to have your dog undergo surgery is never easy, but in my case, it uncovered a hernia that would have kept Gadget very uncomfortable, so I'm thankful we got it taken care of.