Valentine's Day Poses Threats for Dogs

Everyone knows that February means Valentine's Day. Roses, chocolates and a myriad of other gifts are Valentine's Day Dachshund puppyexchanged between sweethearts. But did you know these same sweet offerings could pose serious health risks for your dog?

Let's begin with flowers. Florists and floral departments are quite busy this time of year, with men (and women for that matter) ordering bouquets of beautiful roses and other flowers for their significant others. But if your flowers have thorns on them, watch out! Thorns are dangerous to dogs and other pets. Biting, stepping on or swallowing stems with thorns on them could spell disaster. The thorn could cause a puncture which could lead to serious infections both internally and externally.

Chocolate is another Valentine's Day favorite. Who doesn't like a beautifully-wrapped box of delicious chocolates? But chocolate can be toxic to dogs and cats. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic, but all chocolates can cause adverse reactions in your pet. And the larger the portion ingested, the worse off you are. Gastrointestinal, neurological and cardiac functions can be affected by the ingestion of chocolate. Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and rapid heart beat are all signs of chocolate poisoning, so just keep the chocolates in a safe place where your pets cannot get to them.

And if you are celebrating with a romantic dinner at home that includes wine or other alcohol, be sure to keep that far from your pet's reach as well. Even a tiny bit of alcohol being lapped up from the floor can cause problems for your pet. Your pet could experience vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, breathing problems and even fall into a coma from alcohol consumption.

If you think your pet might have consumed something they should not have, contact the Pet Poison HelpLine right away by calling 1-800-213-6680.